Paige and her father’s favorite summer salad is my mothers pea and cheese macaroni salad. The other day for a bbq at Chris’ work he was asked to bring a salad. He told me he needed it for about 50 people. BIG salad. So that night I made up this salad in a huge bowl and sent it on its way.
A side note. I like to add green or black olives to this salad, but it is not always a hit for everyone. The cucumber is a wonderful addition instead of the celery if the salad is eaten the same day. It gets a little mushy if you have leftovers next day.
Pea and Cheese Macaroni Salad
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large Tablespoons sweet pickle relish (more if desired)
- 1 16 ounce package frozen peas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese cubed
- In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, onion, celery, pickle relish and dill until combined; add pasta. Fold in Peas and cheese in peas and cheese. OPTIONAL: Garnish with Cucumber or tomatoes, and sprinkle with paprika.
Chill until ready to serve.